Print Shortlink

Fleischmanns

welcome to fleischmanns

The Village of Fleischmanns was created in 1913, consolidating what had been two separate areas. Dating back to at least the 1830’s, the hamlet of Griffin’s Corners grew on what is now the east end of the Village.  It was named after Matthew Griffin, an early settler and quite the jack-of-all-trades. He was first Postmaster here, was a lawyer, ran a hotel and store, and even served in the State Assembly.

In the 1870’s, a railroad up from Kingston was built, eventually known as the Ulster & Delaware Railroad.  It suddenly opened up the area to visitors from New York City, and from much farther away. A trip that had taken many difficult hours (or days) on the rough roads suddenly became a matter of hours.

Many hotels of all sizes existed to serve the early, busy tourism industry here. Overlooking Fleischmanns, straddling the Ulster/Delaware County line, was the fabled Grand Hotel. One of the largest hotels in the Catskills, it drew throngs for many decades. Smaller hotels grew in every nook and corner of the Village, and many private homes took in a few boarders. Another survivor from that era is the Palace Hotel on Wagner Avenue. Due to the growth of the ski industry in the area, Fleischmanns is still graced with many of the virtues that have been bringing visitors up since the 1870’s, and the Village is  continually being rediscovered by subsequent generations of residents and visitors. It has a few great places to eat, an art gallery, as well as plentiful hotels.

To learn more, go to www.FleischmannsNY.org