Print Shortlink

New Kingston

The hamlet of New Kinston encompasses a 50 acre tract of the patent located in the most fertile part of the valley of the Plattekill, or ‘open brook’, where the three major hollows intersect and a number of smaller streams and roads branch out to the north. The hamlet developed as a service community for the surrounding agricultural region. In 1828 there was a store in the home of Philip Yaple at the north end of the village. However, the hamlet was virtually undeveloped until the mid-19th century.

An 1869 map of New Kingston shows 13 residences, a store, wagon shop, blacksmith and storehouse, as well as the Presbyterian Church. The school was just outside the village, near the site of a log school that had been established at an early date. In 1864-65 there were 70 children between the ages of 5 and 21 in the district (District #24).