Print Shortlink

Margaretville

As with much of the Catskills, the development of Margaretville was influenced by the coming of the railroad. During the 1870’s, the Ulster and Delaware, one of the major transportation routes connecting the Hudson River (and thus New York City) to Delaware County, traveled northwest from Kingston to Phoenicia and then through Fleischmanns, Arkville, Kelly’s Corners, Halcottsville, Roxbury and beyond on its way to Oneonta.

The Margaretville station also served as the point of departure for the local cauliflower crop. Introduced into the region in the 1890’s cauliflower became one of the town’s most important exports. There were hotels or boarding houses in the village as early as the 1840’s. The largest boarding house, Briar Cliff Lodge, was situated on a hill overlooking the village. It was built as a sanitarium but never used for that purpose. Others were located in and around the village, including the popular Ackerly House on Main Street. At one time, Margaretville was one of the most popular resort towns in the region and it remains a thriving community today.

Today, Margaretville is home to clothing and shoe stores, multiple restaurants, and many other retail shopping outlets.

To learn more, go to the Central Catskills Chamber of Commerce.

[nggallery id=11]