Home Repair

The MARK Project in coordination with the Town of Middletown and Town of Roxbury has been successful in applications to New York State for two Community Development Block Grants for owner occupied, income eligible, home repair grants. The announcement was made on behalf of COvernor Cuomo, the Housing Trust Fund and the Office of Homes and Community Renewal. The municipalities of Roxbury and Middletown each received $433,650 for a total of $867,300 in funds available for home repair projects in our local communities. The MARK project will be administering both programs. “We worked very hard on both these proposals” said Peg Ellsworth, Executive Director of MARK. “and improvements to our housing stock plays an essential role in MARK’s mission.”

The MARK Project will be submitting a Consolidated Funding Application for home repair in the Towns of Middletown and Roxbury. Our application is due in September 2017 and announcements are made in late Winter 2017. If we are awarded the grant, it would become available in the Spring of 2018. If you are interested in being on the notification list regarding this program and would like to be included in this application to the State, please contact Katie at Katie@markproject.org or call our office at 845-586-3500. Below is a description of how the program would work.


This grant is designed to housing rehabilitation to income-qualified owner-occupied single family homes in the Town of Middletown. This is not a beautification program, but is designed to address health and safety issues, building and electrical code violations, structural deterioration, energy efficiency and lead-based paint issues.


  • Housing rehabilitation grants are based on your income. With this CDBG grant program, your income level must be no more than 80% of the median income for Delaware County, based on your household size (see chart below).

    2016 Income Eligibility Limits for Delaware County, New York

    Household Size:12345678
    80% of AMI:$33,040$37,760$42,480$42,480$50,960$54,720$58,480$62,240
  • All persons living in the home, whether related or unrelated will be considered as part of the household. We use adjusted gross income figures.
  • All income earned by members over 18 years old of the household will be considered household income.
  • Income includes: Salaries, child support or alimony, SSI, SSD or SS, Veterans benefits, pensions/retirement, unemployment benefits, rental income, tips, workers’ compensation


The application must include copies of all information requested below. Do not provide original copies of documents.

All applications should be delivered in person to the MARK Project for review. You MUST call the MARK Project to set up an appointment to have your application reviewed.

Information needed with application:
Proof of Ownership:

  1. Copy of Deed with Schedule A (Be sure book and page number where deed is filed and the legal description of the property is on the deed.)
  2. Proof that Homeowner’s insurance is paid up-to-date and copy of declaration page showing coverage levels.
  3. Proof that all property taxes (School and Town & County (and Village, if applicable) are paid up-to-date. Be certain that you provide a copy of receipt signed or stamped by tax collector. County tax payment plans are acceptable but they must be current and show proof of payment.
  4. Proof that your mortgage is paid up-to-date.

Proof of Income:

    1. Copies of Federal Tax Returns for every household member for the last three (3) years – 2016, 2015 and 2014. (NY State returns are NOT required).
      NOTE: W-2’s must be attached!
    2. Copies of 2 most recent pay stubs or other proof of income (1099 for social security or pension, etc.)
      Note: If you or any household member 18 or older does not file a Federal Income Tax Return, then we will need:

      • The most recent three months bank statements.
      • If retired or receiving disability income, in addition to the bank statements we need copies of your year-end statement from Social Security.
      • If you or anyone in the household receives an additional pension, we will need copies of this statement as well.
    3. Asset information: Assets include checking and savings accounts, CDs, stocks, IRAs, life insurance (not Term Life) and property not connected to your primary residence.

Work that can be undertaken through this grant program will be done based on the following priorities:

Priority 1 Items:

Rehabilitation work necessary to eliminate health and safety hazards, satisfy local building codes, and meet HUD Section 8 Housing Quality Standards. Priority 1 Items must be addressed on all units assisted through the program. Examples of Priority 1 items would be replacement of unsafe wiring or electrical fixtures; replacement of rotted steps or flooring; installation of plumbing fixtures in a unit that lacks basic plumbing fixtures; replacement of a leaking, deteriorated roof; or installation of a heating system in a unit where such is lacking. Also included are work items required under the lead paint regulations.

Priority 2 Items:

Work necessary to weatherize a home and make it efficient. The HUD Cost Effective Energy Standards will be used as the standard for these improvements. These items must be addressed before Priority 3 items are considered. Typical Priority 2 items would be storm windows, attic insulation and weather-stripping of doors. MARK Group, Inc. will work with Delaware Opportunities Weatherization Program to address some of these items.

Priority 3 Items:

Work items necessary to improve the property’s general utility and appearance. This category would include exterior painting (only if required to preserve condition of siding), new siding (only if siding is missing or badly deteriorated, or to address lead paint hazards) and other general improvements. Priority 3 items can only be considered after all Priority 1 and 2 items are addressed and if funds are available.

    When you have filled out the application and have copies of required documentation:

  1. Call the MARK Project to make an appointment to have your application reviewed for completeness. When the application has been accepted as complete and eligibility has been determined, we’ll discuss rehab needs.
  2. The MARK Project will set up an appointment with you to come to the home for a site visit and initial inspection of the rehab work needed.
  3. The MARK Project will have a licensed inspector visit your home and prepare a work write-up that will include the scope of work to be bid on. If your house was built before 1978, you must have a lead risk assessment.
  4. The MARK Project has a list of contractors that are pre-qualified and will put your project out to bid to these contractors. You may suggest another contractor, as long as they meet MARK’s guidelines (which include valid liability and workers’ comp insurance, and lead paint certification). The project will be awarded to the lowest qualified bidder.
  5. The MARK Project will prepare the contract paperwork for the grant award and then construction contract. The homeowner will arrange the contract signing appointment with the contractor & the MARK Project at MARK’s office. Any questions relating to the work to be done can be answered at this time.
  6. Once MARK issues a Proceed to Work Order, the contractor can proceed with the scope of work within the time frames indicated.
  7. PLEASE NOTE: There will be a lien placed on your home after the work is completed. The lien will be in effect for five (5) years with this the grant program. It begins on the date of final inspection and is prorated to decrease 1/5 each anniversary date. The amount of the lien will be equal to the amount of the grant. If the house is sold or refinanced or if the owner otherwise violates the terms of the grant agreement or HUD regulations during the grant period, grant funds will be recoverable by MARK on a pro-rated schedule. When the lien is up, the MARK Project will issue the paperwork for the Lien Release and send it to the homeowner; it is the responsibility of the homeowner to file that paperwork with the County Clerk in Delhi to remove the lien.


  • You will be required to make several trips to the MARK Project office in Arkville during the duration of the project. You must call the office to schedule an appointment before coming, as there are times when the staff is out of the office and you may make a wasted trip if you arrive without an appointment.
  • Your signature will be required on a grant agreement, construction contract, billing forms and other paperwork during the course of the project.
  • An inspection will be done on your home by the MARK Project staff or our licensed inspector to establish the scope of work for the project. Depending upon the age of your home, a lead risk assessment will also be performed.
  • You will need to be familiar with all phases of the work being done at your home. This is your project and your contract with the contractor. You will be responsible for monitoring the work. If there is anything that you are not satisfied with, you must make the contractor and the MARK Project aware of it in writing IMMEDIATELY − don’t wait until the job is finished when it’s too late to correct the problem.
  • The homeowner is responsible for obtaining the building permit. The job will not be able to proceed until the proper paperwork is filed in the MARK Project’s office.
  • Any change orders must be approved by MARK, and only change orders eligible for payment under the grant are for work under Priorities 1 and 2 (see above).